Thursday, February 11, 2010

Busy busy busy!

Hi again!

It's been a while since my last post but I've been very busy here and the internet connection is not very good...

I'm all settled down by now. I go to the centre every day and I play with the kids, with the little ones I have problems with the communication because they don't speak english but the teachers are helping me a lot. They are very nice. Lucy, Zippy, Jeff, Yvonne, Martha, Miriam, Jen and Duncan.

Aina, moltes gracies pel paracaigudes, els hi encanta! Estic esgotada de tant jugar, ja penjare fotos!

I'm the only white person in Molo and everyone is looking at me. It's a little bit uncomfortable because they don't just look, they stare and point at me. I'm getting used to it though but I found it difficult... The streets have no pavement and everything is all dusty.

At the centre the kids have just one main meal of ugali and vegetables and they have a cup of porridge in the morning and another one before they leave. There are 180 kids in the centre, at the moment there are no rooms for them to spend the night in so they spend the night with guardians. Lucy and Samuel want to buy an old hotel that is not in use anymore to use it as an orphanage but they need funds...

There is another american volunteer here right now, she is a nurse and she told me there is a lot of kids with trachoma around that will go blind if they don't get the treatment. The treatment is just one gram dose of azithromycin but here it's very difficult to find it...

Well, I gotta leave, I'm running out of battery and there is no electricity at the centre...

Hope you are all well!

6 comments:

  1. You seem very busy. Apart of playing with the children, which kind of tasks do you have? Have you got any spare time just for yourself? Because I don't know if you have the chance of sightseeing the surroundings. Can you post pictures of the orphanage, so we can see the enviroment you are in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I am with you and with everyone else: we want pictures :P
    It looks like it is very hard over there but you are surrounded by good people and that is very important. It is a couple of weeks already but I bet the time is flying for you and you must have experienced so many things and feelings.. Keep playing with those kids and making them smile :) And keep as updated!

    Un besote!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant, I am with Josu and everyone else..

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Escolti! Que després les aventures d'en Massagran les seves son les que més m'estan interessant!!
    Aquest silenci literari es deu a alguna estratègia de Màrketing? O es que està travessant vostè una crisi literària? Ha llegit els clàssics de la literatura? Potser si regelleix el Zoo d'en Pitus les muses li son favorables!!

    Petons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok - i got a few stares too! and they laughed a few times... my long hair wasn't a laughing matter till i put it in a pony tail - i guess guys don't do that. also i was carrying cabbages in this large burlap bag for lucy once - it seemed quite natural to swing it over my shoulder and bare the weight like that. this really had people laughing. lucy told me that they don't see white people carrying stuff very often and i was carrying it like a black would.

    david and marta were laughed at also, it was because they were walking down the street carrying the banana peels - having each just ate one. people normally just drop them by the roadside...

    sounds like you are doing fantastic! keep up the great work! :)

    ReplyDelete