Tuesday, March 9, 2010

And it keeps raining...

Ok, I know that for an African the rain is good and they are happy when it rains but... for a person that has lived for 5 years and a half in a country where it rains everyday (Ireland) I would like to have hot and sunny days...
Lately it's been raining every day here in Molo and it's quite chilly... It specially rains in the evenings then in the mornings it's all muddy and we are also having these blackouts... this is Africa!
I took the kids to the doctor here in Molo. The doctor gave me, again, the same eye-drops but he also saw that there were some severe cases and he told me that I had to take the kids to the eye clinic in Nakuru. I'm going to try to take them next week.
I have also contacted a pharmaceutical company in Barcelona and they are willing to send me some medications for the kids free of charge! But I really need to take Joseph to the doctor. He is not at the centre but his two sisters are. He is my neighbor and I always find him every day waiting for me to arrive home after school so he can play with me. We usually draw together or we make airplanes, ships or hats with papers. He is 7 years old and his eyes look pretty bad... The doctor told me to take him to Nakuru . I hope I can help him, he's such a nice kid... but his family can't afford to take him to the doctor...
We had the match today. Well, actually, the matches... We were 30 for Chazon, 15 boys and 15 girls, and we were supposed to play against Molo Academy but they didn't show up so we play against the other school, Tayari that it was the school that was hosting the games. As I was saying we were 30 for Chazon... ok... so we get to Tayari school and I'm surprised to see that there are more than 2000 pupils in the primary section... Public schools in Kenya are overcrowded. Some of the classes in Tayari school have 90 pupils... I can't imagine how the teachers can mark the exams and homework...
So, we talk to the teachers and they tell us that we have to play netball, volleyball and soccer... when we were just prepared for football... Anyway, we play all the games and we didn't win any. Imagine 2000 kids supporting and cheering their school and for us just 30... But our kids tried and they were not bad. The Tayari teams were much taller than us.
The teachers of Tayari school were very nice though. They encouraged our kids and celebrated the only goal that our boys scored.
We have more games on Friday. There's going to be a team with kids from Tayari and Chazon school and we'll play against other schools.
It has been actually a very good day. I saw some very good players from both schools and it's good that the kids interact in this kind of activities.
So, this is all for today!
Oh, by the way, I know that it's snowing a lot in Barcelona... Hope you are having a happy Christmas in March! :)

2 comments:

  1. Iratxe,

    és molt maco tot el que estàs fent pels nens... crec que no deu ser gens fàcil moure't per Kenya de metge en metge... continua així, amb aquesta perseverància, de veritat, és genial!!

    Mmmm.. Iratxe.. hauràs d'organitzar uns tornejos de basquet que el futbol ja veig que.. ;)

    Vinga... una abraçada mooolt forta i mooolta energia x la gran tasca que fas!!!

    Gerard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Iratxe,

    Ive been following the blog but of course I forgot to make a comment :-)

    Hasnt rained in ages here, it must be following you. How come the doctor wont give the kid the treatment? Does he have River Blindness? Good job that the pharmaceutical company in Barcelona are helping.

    Pity your team lost the football but 2000 versus 90 was slightly challenging... ;-)

    I hope you are doing well and staying in good spirit.

    Regards,
    Tom

    ReplyDelete