Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Melting in Mombasa...

Jambo!

Here I am in Mombasa with my friend Pili that arrived 9 days ago. It's so hot here and so humid. I arrived this morning by train after spending three days in the Masai Mara with the lions, zebras, giraffes, etc. I met more mzungus there... I'm used to see just black people around and now, when I see white people, I do exactly the same they do to me, I stare at them.

Before leaving Molo, Pili and I organised a "gincama" with the kids at school (some activities that take place all at the same time played by different groups...). They had so much fun. At the end there was a ceremony were the kids danced and sang for us.

The mzungus I met in the safari were very nice and as some of them are staying in Nakuru, because thy are volunteering too, we exchanged numbers and we'll meet up again.

After the safari we went to Nairobi to take the night traing to Mombasa. There we met three guys from Barcelona and it was nice to spend the whole trip talking in catalan.

Once we arrived to Mombasa we took a taxi that took us to the hostel we booked. The taxi driver told us that this hostel is not very good and that he knows better places. We think that he just wants our money but when I tell him we are from Spain he tells me that a friend of him is from Spain and he has a hotel in Diani. I asked him the name and he tells me Olivier!!! I met Olivier in Ireland before coming to Kenya. He was working in VMware Switzerland I think and he left VMware to come to Kenya. I can't believe it and the taxi driver calls him and it's true!

After checking the hostel we decide to go to Diani then but the owner of the hostel tells us that she is going to charge us one night so we decide to spend the night here and tomorrow the taxi driver will take us to Diani with Olivier.

I got an email from the pharmaceutical company in Barcelona ad they are going to send us the eye medications to Molo for free!!! The courier is paying for the expenses! I can't believe it! I'm so happy.

We have put some stories of the kids on the website. I did the interviews and took the pictures, Daniel did the rest (the hard work obviously). have a look at it! http://www.chazonafrica.org/onTheSTREET.html

Well, I gotta go now.

Tuonane!

2 comments:

  1. Hola guapa!!
    Me encanta leer tu blog... aunque algunas cosas me dan un poco de penita :(
    Me alegro mucho que estes disfrutando... por cierto! Me llego tu postal y me encanto :) Ya esta en mi "escaparate" junto a otras postales. Muchas gracias!!!
    Disfruta mucho del tiempo que te queda y siguenos contando tus aventuras, please!

    Besos!!!

    Dolo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say my part was a little easier!

    ReplyDelete