Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Farewell Chazon :'(

Today it's been a sad day.

Today I had to say goodbye to the kids at the centre because they have finished their tuition and they are not going back to school until the 4th of May (I won't be here).

So I went class by class saying goodbye. I started with class 7 and I finished with class 1. I did well with class 7 but when I got to class 6 and I saw this boy, David Maina crying... I could feel my eyes filling up with tears. David Maina is a very bright boy, he's always the number one at class and he's such a nice kid. His parents died because of AIDS and his aunt after the clashes so he lives with his siblings and orphan cousins with their grandmother. Four of them are at the centre, they were actually five before but one of the went back to the streets... When Pili arrived to Molo she brought clothes to donate and we gave them some of them as they are really in need.

So, I saw him crying and my heart broke. Then I went to class 5, class 4... and when I got to class 3 I was already crying. Lucy didn't want to come with me class by class because she said she didn't want to see the sad faces of the kids, and Samuel was busy working on the new latrines with Alfie. Some of the kids were asking me: "So you go back to Spain but after a week you come back?", "You go home because you miss your mum?", "So you are leaving us?" Some of them were looking down with sad faces. I've been the first one staying for so long with them but I know that other volunteers will come soon and they will show them new games and the kids will enjoy them.

I spent last weekend in Nakuru with Susan, it was a good one. And then on Sunday I went back to Molo with Chelsea and Alfie. They spent two days with us and at the beginning I didn't know if they were going to like it here because they are more used to Nakuru, a bigger town where there are more mzungus but in fact... they loved it here. They were amazed with what Lucy and Samuel are doing. Chelsea is leaving the 1st of May too but Alfie said that he will come to spend a week here for sure, now he's going somewhere near mount Kenya but he has to spend his last two weeks in Nakuru and he wants to come here.

After saying goodbye to the kids we went to visit Philip and Vivian to their house, they are in nursery so they haven't been coming for tuition. I don't know if I told you about them... They are 3 or 4 years old and they were found abandoned in a cave. The man that found them decided to look after them even though they are extremely poor but now they both, the husband and the wife, have AIDS so no one is hiring them and they are quite weak. We went to their house. A house made of mud and no electricity and they offered us tea. I was happy to see Vivian and Philip, they are so cute! They gave me a big chicken as a present (a chicken alive) which I couldn't hold because I fear animals but Chelsea did it on my behalf. Samuel told me that among the luhyas (the tribe they belong to) giving a chicken as a present is a very precious gift, it's an honor so I really felt honored and touched. I would have loved them to keep the chicken so they have food but Lucy told me that I couldn't reject it and I understood. I really wish I can find someone to sponsor Vivian and Philip. And I also wish Sam and Lucy can buy that hotel so they have a house where the kids can stay because Vivian and Philip are very young kids and the parents are very sick so no one knows what is going to happen with them when the parents are gone...

Philip usually is very serious, Vivian is the one that talks and talks, but when we were leaving the house he hug me first and then he hold my hand and he walked out with me until we got in the matatu and then he ran behind the matatu saying goodbye while we were leaving...

Then we went to the matatu stage as Chelsea and Alfie were going back to Nakuru but we have decided that I'll go back to Nakuru one day next week so we can say goodbye. I cried again...

When I was coming back from the matatu stage with Lucy, I met this street kid. Every time that I walk near that area he comes to me and says that he's hungry. I bought him bread sometimes and I tried to find out about him but he doesn't speak English so today we found him again I bought bread and milk for him and Lucy talked to him. He told her that he's 12 and he left school in class 2 and he spends the day in the streets begging for food. He has some relatives but they don't look after him. Lucy asked him if he wanted to go to school and he said yes so he told him to go to Chazon in May so they can talk if he's really interested.

From tomorrow, I have just 9 days left here and I plan to visit Erick's, Moses's, etc... I'm going to have a busy 9 days left so time is going to fly... I know... even though... let's see if that volcano let me go back the day I have to go back.

2 comments: