Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tuesday

Today it's been a very interesting day.

We decided that we were going to go to the streets to look for street kids and to try to take some of them to the centre.

We went near the matatu stage were I usually meet the kids. We saw big boys sniffing glue and one kid. Samuel started talking with the big boys but Lucy talked to the kid. Samuel told the big boys that we were willing to take the kids to the school so if they had little brothers they should let them know so they could come to Chazon and they won't have the same life they are having. One of the big boys went to look for the kids that usually are around and after few minutes some of them came over.

Lucy talked to them and we realised that some wanted to go to school. There were four of them: Brian and his brother Geoffrey, Thomas and David Chege.

Brian took us to his house, there we met their mother. The house was extremely small. The mother told us that they had no job and that they couldn't take the kids to school because they have to pay 700 ksh to register them and then they have to buy the uniform, the notebooks, pencils, etc and they don't have the money. They are also not able to feed them so that's the reason the kids went to the streets and they slept there... Sam and Lucy told her that if they really wanted to go to school she should take them on Monday to Chazon to start, that they don't have to pay anything, the uniform, notebooks, pencils, etc are free of charge and they provide them with one meal and porridge in the morning. The only thing that they were asking for is that the kids are always clean and that she makes sure that they don't go to the streets and they don't sniff glue. She agreed.

Then Thomas took us to his house. He lives with his grandmother, there is no father and the mother left him. He told Lucy that he really wanted to go to school. When we got to his house the grandmother was not around so we took to the neighbour and she agreed that she will tell the grandmother to take Thomas to Chazon on Monday. I really liked Thomas, I noticed that he really wanted to go to school. His clothes were all ragged and dirty and he had no shoes. He had no english but he kept smiling at me and walking near me. His house was another small room. The grandmother also looks after another grandson because the father died...

We left them there and we were just left with David Chege. We talked to him and he really wanted to go to school but he said that his mother stays in Turi, another village near Molo, the father dies and he has 7 siblings. As we don't have the orphanage yet it's very difficult to take kids that have no guardians in Molo because even if he comes to Chazon then he has no place to stay at night. He told us that he was sleeping in the streets in Molo because Molo is a bigger town and the probability of getting food is bigger than in Turi.

Lucy had to go as she had a meeting with some women and as David was with us for the whole day we decided to go to a restaurant and buy chiken and chips for him. While he was eating Samuel told me that we could try something... He told David to go to Turi and to come back on Sunday with his mother so they can meet and talk. If he is willing to go to school and the mother agrees we could look for a guardian for him in Molo. He agreed.

Unfortunately I won't be here on Sunday or on Monday to see those kids going to Chazon but I'm happy we got to take four street kids off the streets. Well... we still have to wait until Monday to see if they are really interested but I hope they will be.

Tomorrow is my last day in Molo as I'm leaving on Thursday to Nairobi, I'll spend Friday there and on Saturday I'll leave.

I'll try to write again but I don't know if I'll have the time before leaving. Otherwise, I promise I'll upload pictures from Barcelona. I'd love you to see the kids I visited and the kids of the streets.

I'm not saying goodbye yet because I hope I'll find the time to write another post again.

So... tuonane baadaye!

1 comment:

  1. Puf!que duro es leer tus notas, siento un nudo en el pecho y casi me pongo a llorar aqui, que fuerte eres! Nos vemos prontito Ms Njoki! Muchos kisses

    ReplyDelete