Friday, April 9, 2010

Home sweet home!

Hi everyone!

Here I am, back in Molo after my holidays in Masai Mara, Lake Nakuru and Mombasa.

It was good to visit all those places but I'm very happy to be back in Molo. I told you I was going to spend two weeks in another orphanage in Nakuru, well... at the end I'm not going as the director of that orphanage is in hospital and it's not a good moment to receive volunteers... Although I'll go to visit the orphanage for a couple of days.

It's quite sad I can't go to the other orphanage but, to be honest, I'm very happy to be here again and to see my kids. I missed them so much! And I'm also happy because they told me that the only ones that were going to go to tuition after the school closes were class 4, 5, 6 and 7 but at the end they decided to have class 1, 2 and 3 too so I'm actually seeing nearly all of the kids (except the ones in nursery).

I came back to Molo the 4th, after Pili left. On the 6th I took the three kids again to the doctor. Erick doesn't need glasses, he was given some drops to clear the conjunctivitis. Babu has to wear glasses and Joseph has to continue his treatment for three months. The doctor said that Joseph's eyes are improving and he actually got to read more letters on that board.

Pili brought some eye drops with her from Spain and I showed them to the doctor, Joseph can use one of them and Erick another one. Then for Babu, Pili brought some glasses so we could use the frame and at the end we just had to pay for the glass (we saved loads of money!)

When we got to Molo I walked home with Joseph and Erick and suddenly some street children came over to ask me for money (usually they spend that money to buy glue to sniff...), so obviously I didn't give them any money I prefer to give them bread or something to eat. Well, when the kids approached me, Erick run away and hide, he was so scared. When he was a street kid he got beaten by the other street kids many times. I went after him and he hold my hand and I told him not to worry anymore... I really felt it for him.

On Wednesday I arrived to the centre and when the kids saw me they starting calling my name out and they run towards me to hug me! They were very happy to see me and I was very happy to see them too! Tuition starts at 9am and finishes at 12:30pm and then we all walk home together... It's quite a long way, 3 km to town and one from town to home but I like walking with the kids around. Erick walks with me holding my hand during the 2 km.

And more good news! On Wednesday I decided to write about my experience here in two different websites. One is a forum for travellers and another one is a website were you can search for jobs or volunteering oportunities. Well... I have recieved 15 emails from different people telling me that they have read my post and checked the website and they love it and they would like to come to volunteer here! Samuel, Lucy and I are very happy! I feel so good knowing that poeple feel encoureged to come to Molo after reading my posts and after checking the website.

Tomorrow is Saturday and I'm cooking chapati with Lucy again, she says I'm becoming a real african woman. Booking a flight from Mombasa to Nairobi they charged me as a resident :) I like the feeling of knowing that I've already made this place and this country mine. I travel around as I am another kenyan. I go shopping in Molo and the people in the shops know me and greet me by my name.

Lucy says that she would love me to be here when the other volunteers come so I can show them around, I would also love it too but I think this is not going to be possible... I have to go back :(

Well, I'm already thinking about my last days here and I still have three weeks to go... I better enjoy them instead of feeling sad because this is coming to an end.

Oh, by the way, did you check this out? http://www.chazonafrica.org/onTheSTREET.html The stories and the photos are mine! (well, Daniel corrected the mistakes I had when I was writing the stories). He still has to upload some stories and pictures though. It was a tough day the one I was interviewing the kids and the guardians... At the end of the day, after listening to their stories I couldn't help but cry...

I was checking now the picture of Moses and Mary... The other day I was at the centre and at lunch time sometimes I give my plate to one of the kids that just have that meal a day and I gave it to Mary. Lucy looked at her and she asked her why her hair looked so bad and she told her that her mum left the house 3 days ago and they didn't know where she was. Lucy called Moses to ask him if that was true and he nodded looking down because of embarrassement. Lucy asked him if they had food at home and he said that they didn't eat breakfast nor dinner since Sunday... and that their little brother was left at home alone... We bought food for them after school and Lucy told us that the neighbours were going to look after them meanwhile... Some Sundays Moses shows up at Samuels and Lucy's. He doesn't say anything but when Samuel and Lucy see him they know that he's there because he didn't have anything to eat since Friday... Samuel always tell him not to go to the streets begging for food, that he has to go to their house if he's hungry but sometimes you can find him walking alone in the streets looking for food.

It's so sad. When we see these cases we wish we could have that hotel to turn it into an orphanage so the kids can stay there safely.

Moses is the first student in his class, he's so bright! I whish thing will go better for him and his family because he could be someone when he grows up.

No comments:

Post a Comment