Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Visiting my mzungu friends

Hiya!

My time here is coming to an end... And I'm so sad... I just have 15 days left here and the kids, my family here and I are starting to realize that I'm leaving soon and we don't want to talk about it.

Lucy says I'm so part of the family and I feel so comfortable here that I don't really feel like going back. I was even thinking of extending my time here but then my time to go will arrive at some stage and I'll find it difficult again and I will like to stay so I have decided that I'm leaving the 1st of May as it was planned.

I went yesterday to Nakuru to meet Chelsea and Alfie, my two mzungu friends. Chelsea is from California and she is volunteering in an orphanage in Nakuru and Alfie is form UK and he's volunteering in different orphanages as he is in a building program. We met at the safari and we decided to have a "safari reunion" yesterday so the three of us took the day off and we had lunch together.

It's good to meet other volunteers here so you can talk to someone about your experience, your fustrations, your achievements to someone that is doing the same you are doing and can understand you. Like me, Chelsea and Alfie came here alone and they struggled a lot at the beginning. Alfie is actually still struggling and I told him that I took between three weeks and a month to adapt here, that I was also not sure if I was going to make it here the three months by myself but I had to give me time and by now I'm so adapted that I don't want to leave. He is also quite disappointed with his program, he came with i-to-i and he's not happy at all so I have invited them to come for two days to Molo and they are coming on Sunday until Tuesday.
I'm going this Friday to Nakuru to spend the weekend at Susan's again, I'm looking forward to it cause last time I had such a good time!

Today I cooked Samosas. Ann has tought me and I have to say that they turned up quite well... they were so tasty! :) Ann is a very good cook and very good teacher. I don't know if I have told you about Ann before. She looks after Jemima when Sam and Lucy are at the centre. She used to work with them at the restaurant as a cook but when they decided to close it down they offered her to look after Jemima at home. She's such a nice woman. She does the laundry too and if she finds any coin in your pocket she leaves it your my bed so you can find it when I'm back from the centre. She never asked me for anything. Every morning when I wake up she is already at home and she always wishes me a good day with a big smile on her face when I leave to the centre.

Ann had such a difficult life. She is a single mother as the husband abandoned her. She has two kids at the centre, Sami in class 7 and Brian in nursery. Well, actually Brian is not her son, he's her grandson... Ann's daughter got pregnant when she was 14... Ann was the one looking after the baby. Then the daughter got a job as a housekeeper in Nairobi but the man of the family she worked for rapped her and she got pregnant again and... fired. Ann struggles a lot with money and everything she gets she spends it in Sami and Brian.

Ann has also a problem with her eyes, one of her eyes is completaly blind and the other one is weak... I took her to the doctor too, she got some drops and new glasses. We went to have food after visiting the doctor and I bought chiken with fries for her. She ate the fries and she asked the waiter to put the chiken in a bag to take it home with her telling me that she was full just with the fries and that she will eat the chicken for dinner at home. I looked at her, I smiled and I said "that's ok" knowing that she was bringing the chicken to Brian because she can't afford to buy chicken for him.

Oh, I didn't want this post to be a long one but when I start writing I can't stop...

Ok, that's all for today. Oh! I got two volunteers for July! I'm so happy! They are from Barcelona so I'll meet them when I'm back and they will stay for one month :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm sad for your leaving but also will be glad to know you are safely home - once home I think you will find a whole new phase of being involved will start up - as you work to support Chazon, to give more then you thought possible and to encourage others to go!

    And you will return! :)

    ReplyDelete